Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Soul Calibur IV Early Costume Impressions UPDATE

A teaser video is up for Soul Calibur IV and shows off three characters. It’s possible these are real-time character models, but they are eerily similar to that initial Tekken 6 concept model of Jin which looked nothing like the footage eventually shown at E3. Still, Namco says the final version of Tekken 6 will look better, so my hopes are high these Soul Cal shots are in-game.

The details look too sharp for that to be true though. Mitsurugi armor looks amazing and he really looks like he is wearing it as opposed to being plastered on. I would be just floored if this were in-game. FLOORED.

Ivy, well…my goodness. She was always top heavy, but this new outfit really puts it out there. It does fit with her character who always wore very revealing clothes. Even so, it makes me nervous all the same.

I loved Soul Edge/Blade and Soul Calibur I and II. Wasn't crazy about III. The balance for me was way off on many characters, plus it just didn't look that great on the PS2.

2008 can’t come soon enough.

UPDATE: Full body shot scan of Ivy has hit the interweb. HOLY cripes. As if the top weren't enough, the sleeze factor has been cranked up several notches. Normally I would be disgusted, but if you are going to go down this road, I say go all the way. I hope Namco sticks to their guns and keeps this design. Quite bold.

11 comments:

Mr eel said...

I pulled Soul Calibur for the DC out for the first time in awhile last night. Such an excellent game. One of the most accessible 3D fighters going, with some really awesome character design.

It's sparked my interest in the sequels.

shaela said...

WOW...umm Ivy's cousins.... they grew. I really like the costume and it's good to see they finally pulled off her dark makeup correctly. Can't wait to get this game!

JohnH said...

Oh come on now that's just trashy. If a girl with Ivy's proportions tried fighting that in real life it just wouldn't work out. You'd have to change the blog's name to Costume LOSE.

Wataru Maruyama said...

I've been meaning to hook up the Dreamcast again for Soul Calibur. I have a TV with VGA inputs so curious to see how it looks. I remember playing on a monitor back in the day and marveling at how much sharper it looked.

I did manage to pop in Soul Calibur II for the Xbox last night since I heard the last update improved the backward compatibility.

It still looks fantastic, thanks to the already built-in 720p support.

I might go back and give III a chance again to see if the upscaling on the PS3 improves anything.

Kiki said...

Character design has hit a new low/high with Ivy's boobs.
They're bigger than her head!!

... hope she's got a good doctor...

Brinstar said...

Oh. Uh... I don't like Ivy's Costume.

Anonymous said...

I've always seen Ivy as a classy, wealthy, potentially nutty S&M fighter.

With the reveal of her new outfit for SC4, she now comes across as a skanky, wealthy, potentially slutty S&M fighter and I don't like that.

Wataru Maruyama said...

The trend for Ivy seems to be that her main costume is risque and revealing while her alternates cover her from head to toe.

Anonymous said...

I am aware of the trend, but they really went all out with this particular number. I'm guessing she'll be wearing little purple stickers to cover her lady parts if there's a Soul Calibur 5.

Joonas said...

Oh man, I do think that's overdone. The Soul Calibur II basic costume was nice, but this is just trashy. I wouldn't want to play with that. :(

Anonymous said...

looks like Ivy's boobs keep getting bigger and bigger, and her design sluttier and sluttier. im still looking forward to the game though