Thursday, February 16, 2012

PS Vita GET!


Yes, Twitter has made me way too lax on updates as well as work being super busy. The good news is that my gaming time has been on the rise thanks to the PS Vita. With a growing family, my time with the consoles has been few and far between. I'm only half way through Uncharted 3 (started way back in November) and unopened copies of Portal 2 and Arkham City are giving me dirty looks from the backlog shelf.

Like gaming on the iPhone, it's just easier for me to play something mobile than anything tied to a TV. So far I've picked up what you see in the pic above. Hot Shots Golf, Escape Plan, and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom. It's been a while since I've played a Hot Shots Golf and ad hoc multi-player is awesome. I'm not sure if this was a feature in the older PSP or PS3 titles, but all the players are shooting at the same time during the hole. It makes the rounds go very quickly. I do wish there was an option to watch the other players after you're done.

Escape Plan is pretty cool so far. I like it a lot, but don't quite love it yet. I've logged the least amount of time on Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom since I got it last. It's amazing how much action the Vita can handle. I do believe I will finally buy the Jill Valentine DLC character now. I see the various costume packs are available individually, but don't see a bundle with everything. Will need to look into that.  

So what's next? I ordered Uncharted and Lumines which should get here soon. I kind of want Ninja Gaiden, but $40 is steep for a game I've owned on two previous consoles. Maybe once the price drops. That goes for BlazBlue as well.

On the download front I'll probably pick up Super Stardust soon. I'm also very close to buying Darkstalkers and some of the SNK games either individually or in the SNK Collection. The Samurai Shodown Anthology is tempting too. Note: I have almost all the SNK/KOF games that were released on the PS2, but I can see me playing these a lot more on the Vita. I'm very curious to see how they look on the OLED screen.

A bit further off is the my most anticipated Vita release, DRAGON"S CROWN! Seriously cannot wait for that game. I'll also pick up Street Fighter X Tekken and Mortal Kombat as well. Yup, fighting games are still my favorite. It's in my To Do list to take a pic of all the fighting games I own across multiple systems. It's scary.  

(Full disclosure: I'm currently an employee of Sony Computer Entertainment America. In case you are new to this blog, I started this way back in 2005 while working as a games journalist. Would I have purchased a Vita if I didn't work for Sony? Yes. One of the reasons I decided to join almost a year and a half ago was because I was psyched for the Vita. In any case, absolutely take anything I say with a grain of salt as you would reading anything out there.)

2 comments:

Musikalischør Interpretør said...

good to hear from you! Just checked a few days ago and was very sad that there was nothing new ;-)
Though I am a bit surprised that you didnt write anything about the new soul calibur and the possibilities of its new editor.
Greetings from another beat em up fan!

Wataru Maruyama said...

I took a pass on Soul Calibur V because there are no individual character endings and the modes are more limited than before. Very disappointing. I might pick it up when it goes down in price or maybe a Vita version would put me over the top. Thanks for writing!