Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Second Best Dead or Alive Game Ever

It’s taken forever to get to my final impressions of Dead or Alive 5 done, but I was grappling with a serious question. Within the first two weeks of playing I already knew the game was something special. The greatly improved character models/faces, the interesting stages, and the fantastic (although still confusing) story mode kicked all kind of ass. The strongest showing for the new Team Ninja by far.

The big question I was wrestling with was “where does this rank in the history of DOA games?”. I went back and forth on this quite a bit and I nearly declared it the best ever. So what’s the best? The first Dead or Alive on the Saturn. It’s easily the one I logged the most hours on and very playable to this day (this past weekend actually).

 

The overall rankings look like this:

1)    Dead or Alive 1 (Sega Saturn)
2)    Dead or Alive 5 (PS3/360)
3)    Dead or Alive 2 (three-way tie between the US PS2 Hardcore edition, the Japanese Dreamcast  version, and the Ultimate Xbox version)
4)    Dead or Alive 4
5)    Dead or Alive 3

For the purists out there, the Japanese release of DOA 2 hardcore featured the most unlockables until the Xbox version rolled out later on although it supposedly didn’t have everything the Japanese Dreamcast version had (it gets really confusing and I may be wrong).

But I digress. Dead or Alive 5 is fantastic. The only thing that annoys me about it is the insane prices for the DLC content. I have not purchased any. At. All.

I do want to support the series and the way to do that will be to buy the upcoming Dead or Alive 5 Plus for the Vita which appears to include a lot of the DLC  for the console versions (hence the “plus”).

This all leads me to hope for a new Dead or Alive Xtreme game. If the new Team Ninja can ramp up the X series in the same way they have for DOA 5, I will be supremely satisfied. In case you were wondering, here is how I would rank the DOA series if the X games were included:

1)    Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox)
2)    Dead or Alive 1 (Sega Saturn)
3)    Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (Xbox 360)
4)    Dead or Alive 5 (PS3/360)

And the rest of the ranking are the same.

So as you can see, I LOVE me some Xtreme. The combination of collecting/gifting, gambling, and relaxing island “scenery” is pretty random, but it hit a nerve somewhere deep in me. Despite Xtreme 2 being a warmed over sequel, I still grudgingly enjoyed it for 80+ hours.

On a somewhat related note, I finally picked up a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for the PS3. If I ever get around to playing it, look for a post eventually.

4 comments:

Iacus said...

So, this being a fighting game, I guess it's not worth paying DOA 5 if I have access to DOA 1?

If after all this time DOA 1 remains the best game, one wonders where the developers are spending their effort...

Wataru Maruyama said...

If you've never played a DOA game then the first one would be a great place to start. Gameplay is still rock solid, but graphics on the Sega Satrun are a bit rough now. The PSOne version of DOA1 is just ok. Not a big fan. Of course you could just start with 5 and be set.

Unknown said...

I am holding off the purchase of any of its DLC and waiting for some ultimate bundle package during some crazy ps3 sale (i bought doa5 on ps3). I love the doa series but the prices are insane... I have not done the math, but if i bought every dlc that was put out, i think i may be able to buy a second copy of the game with that amount!

I look forward to the vita version, which with its co-sharing of dlc, might just lure me to buy some DLC just for kicks...

I too have NG sigma2 and hope to find time to play more of it. I held off NG3 though, i tried the demo and found it atrocious.. It was like just slide from one kill animation to the next, no dodging or tactical play required.

Rokki Winchester said...

At the very 1st, I’d favor to state thanks http://awriter.org/
to you for this enlightening article. Second, I'd prefer to wonder wherever I can learn a lot more info concerning your post. I arrived right here via Bing and can't discover any associated web websites connected to this matter. How do I sign for your web blog? I had prefer to stick to your updates as they arrive along! I'd a query to interrogate but I forgot what it absolutely was... anyways, thank you very much.